Tuesday, December 27th, 2016
Sinusitis is a common condition that feels like a cold that just won’t go away. It often results in pain, reduced energy levels, poor sleep quality and a number of other unpleasant symptoms. Sinusitis occurs as the result of inflammation of the tissue that lines the sinuses, and it’s becoming increasingly common.
Fortunately, there are several things you can do to reduce your likelihood of coming down with a case of sinusitis. Resolve to prevent sinusitis in 2017 by following these tips!
How to Prevent Sinusitis
One of the best ways to prevent sinusitis is to reduce your exposure to allergens. Do this by:
- Avoiding overstuffed furniture
- Washing throw rugs at least every six weeks
- Washing your pillows regularly
- Removing wall-to-wall carpeting
- Staying away from triggers, such as perfumes
- Avoiding air pollutants like smoke
To further protect yourself against sinusitis, follow these tips:
- Take steps to improve the air quality in your home. Install a humidifier, air purifier, etc.
- Sleep with the head of your bed elevated to facilitate sinus drainage.
- Minimize contact with people who have known infections, such as colds and upper respiratory infections.
- Avoid temperature extremes as they can cause sinus pain.
- Reduce stress levels to ensure that your immune system functions properly.
- Avoid swimming or use nose plugs.
- Rinse out your nose and sinuses with saline regularly.
- Drink 8 to 12 glasses of water every day.
- Drink hot tea after getting out of bed to help mucus flow and relieve sinus pressure.
If you’re suffering from sinusustis and need sinusitis treatment, we can help. At Sinus & Snoring Centers of Texas, we offer several treatment options for sufferers of chronic sinusitis, including balloon sinuplasty for the most severe cases. To find out more or schedule a consultation, please contact us today by calling 956-504-5360.